Skip to content
Head Coach Bubba Dotson
- Coach Dotson is in his second year as head coach at North Kansas City. He also serves as a physical education teacher at the high school and coaches JV softball for the Hornets. He is a graduate of Oak Park high school where he excelled at baseball and football. After high school, he attended Neosho County CC in Chanute, KS; Maple Woods CC; and Missouri Western State University. He played baseball at all levels and was named first team All-American right fielder at MWSU.
- Post graduation, Coach Dotson played one year professionally for the Grand Prairie Airhogs and the Schaumberg Boomers.
- After his playing days were over, he served as a coach at Park Hill HS and Prodigy Baseball Academy.
- He was married to his high school sweetheart, Sabrina, in July 2017.
Assistant Head Coach John West
- Coach West is in his 15th year as a baseball coach and 13th year with the varsity squad. He also serves as assistant coach for softball and the director of basketball operations for girls’ basketball at North Kansas City.
- 1983 Graduate of NKC and now is in his sixth year as a campus supervisor at the high school.
- Coach West and his wife, Carolyn, have been married 29 years with three children, all NKC alumnus. (Dustin ’08; Dannika ’10; Dyllan ’14)
- In the summer, Coach West is the equipment manager and first base coach for the Independent Professional Baseball Team, The Kansas City T-Bones.
- He also served as the Kansas City Royals batboy from 1978 to 1984
JV Head Coach Tim Bruns
- Coach Bruns is a psychology and US history teacher when he is not coaching the JV baseball team and freshman football coach and he coaches freshman football for NKCHS.
- 2008 Graduate of NKC
- He is a graduate of Northwest Missouri State (’12) and is currently pursuing his masters in positive psychology and coaching from the University of Missouri.
- Born and raised in Kansas City, and a lifelong Chiefs and Royals fan, Coach Bruns is nearing his fifth year of marriage to Megan.
- Their daughter Charlotte will be turning three just before baseball season begins.
C-Team Head Coach Jason Holmes
- Coach Holmes is in his fourth year as C-Team coach, and freshmen boy’s basketball coach. He also assists Coach West as a campus supervisor.
- He is a graduate from Goshen High School (’03) and William Jewell College (’08.) While at William Jewel, he pitched in the Cardinals baseball program and was named All-Conference honorable mention in 2007. His degree is in Recreation with a minor in coaching and performance enhancement.
- Coach Holmes turned pro after college and pitched for the Antwerp Eagles in Belgium as well as played in the Midnight Sun game in Fairbanks, Alaska.
- He is a resident of Kansas City with a six-year old daughter, Adalyn.
Assistant Coach Aaron Lerner
- Coach Lerner is in his first year of coaching the Hornets baseball team and teaches 9th grade English at Northtown.
- Born and raised in Kansas City, he is a graduate of Shawnee Mission East High School (1997), and was a three-year letter winner in baseball, as well as a member of the 1995 6A Kansas State Championship Team.
- Prior to teaching, Lerner spent 13 years as a strength and conditioning coach where he worked and trained with athletes ranging from amateur to professional. He is currently certified as a Performance Enhancement Specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine.
- Lerner is a graduate of the University of Kansas (2002), where he earned a degree in Journalism, and is currently pursuing his Masters of Arts in Education from Avila University.
- Coach Lerner is the proud father of his 7-year-old daughter, Star, who has been a huge Hornets fan since 2017.
Assistant Coach Jake Welker
- Coach Welker is a 2009 graduate of North Kansas City High School
- He attended Kansas State University
- He is the owner and operator of Poor John’s Plumbing
- This is his fifth year coaching at North Kansas City