The Hornets look to pick up their first victory at Macken on Thursday at 4pm as they will take on the St. Pius X Warriors. The Warriors were rained out of their opener earlier this week, so this will be the season opener.
Game Preview Notes:
- Pius finished 7-9 last year, but won their opening round game against Richmond in their Class 4 district tournament last year before losing to the eventual District champion Smithville.
- The Hornets defeated the Warriors last year 11-10 in a come from behind victory
- Brian Gallen and Devin Petersen both had hits in last year’s victory.
- Grant Lorenzen was the winning pitcher, hurling the seventh and deciding inning holding on through a five run inning on four hits and an error.
- Kyle Gaines also had three RBI in the victory.
- The Hornets are 9-3 in the series going back to 2009. They’ve faced off eight times in the regular season and four times in the Northland Tournament.
- Northtown has a two game winning streak against the Warriors
- St. Pius baseball will soon be neighbors to the Hornets. Their new facility will be just up the street from Macken park. Pius had been playing their home games at A.J. Wilson Sports Complex, but their new facility featuring all-weather turf and multi-purpose fields for baseball, softball, lacrosse, and soccer should be ready by the middle of this season
Ones to Watch:
- Senior Mark Lachowitzer, LF is on the collegiate radar. He has missile for an arm out of left field
- Junior RHP Luciano Biscari has a wicked fastball and also doubles as a starting running back for the football team.
- Neither have committed to colleges, however both are considered top prospects for the varsity squad
- For the Hornets, watch out for Grant Lorenzen who tripled in the Hornets opening loss to Winnetonka in Game 1.
The Hornets take on the Warriors at Macken 1 at 4 PM on Thursday with the JV teams facing off on Macken 2 at 4 PM also.
Follow the game live HERE.